Monday, September 24, 2007

A Sweet Sneaky Surprise

EJ had to come to Utah to do some recruiting for his company at BYU. They were arriving on Wednesday night, and hatched this crazy scheme. They decided to not tell the moms that they were coming and try to surprise them. We arranged to go out for ice cream with everyone. I told mom that we were going out to celebrate Elise starting School and wanted them to come too. Keith (EJ's dad) told Reva that there was an acquaintance that wanted to meet them there. (she's in Young Women's, so he had to talk her out of going) So we got their first and ordered, then Keith and Reva showed up and we all acted surprised to see them, and invited them to sit with us until the "acquaintance" showed up (we were outside). Meanwhile Camille and EJ are in their rental car waiting for things to settle down. I excused myself from the group to "go change Brendan". Camille and I switched babies. So I carried Chance back with me to the table. I passed mom on the way (she was going back in the diner for something). So I sat down and put Chance on the table in front of me. Reva looked at him a couple of times and then she gave a little scream and said "That's chance" She was so shocked. The scream also scared him a little. I stood back up with him and was bouncing him a little when mom came back. We were just talking and after a minute or so and several looks at Chance, she screamed too and clutched her heart. She also mentioned that it was chance and started to frantically look around for Camille and EJ. Needless to say we got a great reaction from both moms, and they were totally unsuspecting. They were so used to seeing me with a baby on my hip that it took a minute for anyone to realize that it wasn't my baby. It was perfect. Camille and EJ were hiding behind some cars videoing the whole thing. It was just awesome.


So here we all are. Eating ice cream and food and visiting.



Brendan and Chance. Cute cousins

4 comments:

Brianne said...

What a great surprise! It's always fun surprising Grandma's with their grandchildren. How fun!! Brendan and Chance are getting so big and they're so cute!! It's nice when you have children the same age as your sibling's children.

Anonymous said...

I think you did a better job of explaining, and you eve got a picture at iceberg. Maybe I'll just have to print your post for my family journal!

k8shoe said...

Hey, I got your blog page from Camille. So fun to see your kids (ok, I didn't know you had a third!)! They have grown up so much since we've seen you guys last. What a fun surprise for the Grandmas!

Anonymous said...

There's nothing like a great surprise!! Grandma's definitely love it!! It's so fun that you switched babies. I would have loved to see the faces.