This tradition started on accident, but has been fun. We went to Joey's brother Ben's mission homecoming in Idaho, and Halloween was that weekend. Instead of carving pumpkins we painted them. We could enjoy pumpkin fun without having the pumpkins shrivel up and die on the front porch. Ever since then, the kids have planned on, and been the force behind this tradition. It is fun, and we don't have to carve the pumpkins if we don't want to, but we do carve them anyways.

Joey and Kyle are trying to decide what to paint on the pumpkins this year. (Kyle is actually just deciding on what color to paint his)

Elise has started to mix the colors and has painted a few spots on her pumpkin.

Kyle decided on BLUE. He squeezed out a huge blob onto the plate. Joey is getting technical and using a pencil to sketch his face.

Brendan is just happy to be holding a paint brush, who cares that there's no paint for him to reach. (although he would love that)
"What do you want me to do again, and what is that big orange ball in front of me?"

Kyle with his almost finished blue period pumpkin painting.

Finished with the pumpkin and moving on to painting himself.
(I'm blue daba dee daba die (or whatever the real words are))
(I'm blue daba dee daba die (or whatever the real words are))

Elise has a very colorful pumpkin this year.

9 comments:
It sounds horrible to say but I hate carving pumpkins. I want to adopt this, paining seems much better. And there is no way it could be messier.
Love the photo of Brenden with the paint brush with no paint. Too cute! And Kyle's blue period would be translated to a 'green period' for Dane. 4 yr olds and their 'colors'!
Pumpkin painting is the best. All though this year, McKay is adamant that we carve this year. Dang it!
Kyle's just painting his pumpkin BYU blue! Go Cougars!
McKay saw the picture of Elise and asked if she could play with her; I don't think she remembers her but she must've thought she looked fun to play with. :)
I have so been wanting to paint our pumpkins this year...but I haven't known what kind of paint to use, so we haven't gotten to it yet. Such cute pumpkins! What a fun tradition to have. I'm hoping my kids won't get the idea to carve them for a while!!
But...how do you enjoy roasted pumpkin seeds? We carved our pumpkins tonight and enjoyed a large vat of seeds. I just can't see painting pumpkins replacing that whole pumpkin seed feast, for us, anyway!
Looks like a fun tradition- and less dangerous than carving! I'm not sure yet what we will do- I guess next year Chance will be old enough, so we'll have to decide then.
so fun! I loved looking at all your recent posts.. I can't believe how big brendan is! He's walking? Holy cow! Your kids are so so cute.
We do carve the pumpkins right before Halloween. So if we wanted to roast the seeds we could then. My mom roasted them one year and I wasn't a fan. I'll post about our pumpkin carving later. It's the best of both worlds and takes up two FHE activities.
Hey! kyle bleeds ....i mean kyle is turning blue! i love it! this year for halloowweenn i carved a gord, the size of a baseball, it was hard. i got two eye holes and a slit for the mouth, that's about it.
Post a Comment