Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Canning time

Yes it is that time once again when things need to be canned. Elise is helping me make Jam in this picture. She really was a big help.


We have lots of peaches to can this year. I don't mind canning, except that my house seems to blow up when I focus on canning. But it's worth it.

5 comments:

melanie said...

We are getting geared up for canning here too. We have had a little bit of cooler weather so they are just a little off. I'm happy about it, I didn't want them to be ready before school starts. Looks like I'll get my way, woo hoo!

p.s. Last year I quit with the peach jam, it never sets up! I have no idea what I do wrong but after 3 bad years in a row I decided it wasn't for me. I just made more of the other flavors. What's your secret if there is one?

Unknown said...

I made some plum jam that was syrupy one year. My mother-in-law said that I need to use the exact amount of fruit in the recipe instead of adding extra fruit(which is what I was doing) to make the batch bigger. Ever since then I've had no problem with the jam. I also blend the peaches instead of leaving chunks. It's extra smooth and I can get an exact measurement. Other than that I have no idea.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how old Elise is looking!! It is amazing to me! Good work on the canning, that jam sounds yummy!

Anonymous said...

By the way, cool new look on your page. I really like it a lot!!

melanie said...

Ok, I got more peaches from my aunt and uncle today and I just *might* try peach jam again. I'll blend it instead, before I was always just mashing really good. I never double batches...I'll have to keep you posted to see if I'm successful. With 2 kids in school we're going to be going through lots of jam!